Trimming a yard or garden is necessary for a neat compound and also healthy branches and leaves. You can trim with loppers or chainsaws, but none of these is more efficient than cordless pole saws. They trim all types of branches within reach and out of the reach with relative ease. A cordless pole saw can also be used on trees, shrubs, and vines.
There are numerous cordless pole saws in the market, all with different prices, performance, and features. Thus, it can be perplexing trying to settle for the best pole saw. One must have a keen eye when deciding on which brand of cordless saws is best. Fortunately, with our in-depth review, you can be sure to find a saw that fits your tastes and preferences.
Cordless Pole Saw FAQs
Image Via pixabay
Our FAQ gives information on the basics of cordless pole saws. This includes details such as, what are cordless pole saws, what they do, how they work, and where to buy them.
1. What Are Cordless Pole Saws?
They are gas-powered or electric-powered saws that are used to trim and prune shrubs and trees. They range in lengths of 8 feet to 15 feet, have 2-3 adjustments along the entire length, and can work for a few hours with each recharge.
2. What Does Cordless Pole Saws Do?
Cordless pole saws are used to prune trees and shrubs which would otherwise require a ladder to reach. They prune different types of branches according to their cutting head and length. Longer and more powerful cordless saws are used on branches with an 8-inch diameter or larger and are located 10 feet from the ground.
3. How Do Cordless Pole Saws Work?
Once you identify the tree that needs pruning, set the cordless saw’s power according to the hardness and diameter of the branch. When turned on, a chain which rotates at high speed cuts the branches, leaves and any other part of the tree that needs pruning. It leaves the pruned surface smooth and appealing. All operations are done with your feet on the ground without the need of a ladder.
4. Where Can I Buy Them?
You can get them in most hardware shops, supermarkets and electronic shops across the country. You can also order cordless pole saws from online stores such as Amazon.
How We Reviewed
We researched immeasurably about the best cordless pole saws in the market. We took into consideration the opinions of previous customers and those of other expert cordless pole reviewers. However, our primary focus was on highlighting the features, pros, and cons, and the price of each cordless saw brand to ensure you can make the right decision about the pole saw that meets your specific needs.
Overall Price Range
The prices of Cordless pole saws reviewed range from $70 to $350. The price difference is because of the variation in the materials used, features, performance, and durability of each saw. An affordable cordless pole saw which retails at approximately $70 has a maximum reach of 8 inches, lacks a battery and has a warranty of fewer than two years. A higher-priced model such as the one costing $200 has a 40-volt battery, a 16-foot maximum reach, free accessories and a warranty of over two years.
What We Reviewed
- Greenworks 8.5′ 40V Cordless Pole Saw, 2.0 AH Battery Included 20672
- BLACK+DECKER LPP120 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Pole Saw
- Sun Joe SWJ800E 8-Inch 6.5-Amp Telescoping Electric Pole Chain Saw
- Oregon Cordless PS250-E6 Pole Saw Kit
- Ryobi One+ 8 in. 18-Volt 9.5 ft. Cordless Electric Pole Saw
- Maxtra Gas Pole Saw
- Poulan Pro PPB40PS, 40-Volt 8 in. Cordless Pole Saw
- Earthwise Camo 40-Volt 10-Inch Cordless Chainsaw/Pole Saw Combo
Greenworks 8.5′ 40V Cordless Pole Saw, 2.0 AH Battery Included 20672
- Green Works GMAX 40-Volt 2.0 Amp Hour Lithium-Ion Pole Saw with 8-inch Bar and Chain, Includes Battery and Charger,...
- 8-Inch Bar and Chain
- Up To 60 Cuts on 4x4 Lumber
This cordless pole saw is for people looking to prune numerous branches on a single charge. It is powered by a 40-volt lithium battery that can run on a single full charge for over an hour. The aluminum shaft included in the package has three points of attachment which increases the overall height to 8 feet and 7 inches. A chain system placed at an adjustable angle can cut through small and mid-sized branches with ease.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $150.
A 4-year warranty for the saw and 1-year warranty for the battery.
- Long reach
- Easy and tool-less chain tensioning
- Environmental friendly
- A cutting diameter of up to 8 inches
- Uses more oil than similar models
- Not very durable
BLACK+DECKER LPP120 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Pole Saw
- LITHIUM ION CORDLESS POLE SAW - Extended pole saw for pruning and trimming branches
- 8-INCH CUTTING BAR AND CHAIN - Cuts a 6” total diameter with a total reach of up to 14 ft
- ADJUSTABLE LENGTH - Center extension allows for usable lengths of 6.5’ or 10’ with overhead reach of up to 14’
It weighs 10.5 pounds inclusive of the battery and has an overhead reach of 14 feet which is adequate for cutting branches high up a tree. The cordless pole saw has a fixed bar with a cutting diameter of up to 6 inches, which is appropriate for thick branches. It is powered by a 20-Volt lithium-ion battery which can run for over 45 minutes on a single charge—the equivalent to cutting 100 branches of pine which are 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $120.
This product comes with a 2-year limited warranty that includes the battery and charger.
- Has a long reach
- Lightweight design that makes it easy to work with
- Provides considerable power
- Easy assembling and disassembling
- Lacks tool-less chain tensioning
- The fixed bar might get stuck when cutting
- Average battery run time
Sun Joe SWJ800E 8-Inch 6.5-Amp Telescoping Electric Pole Chain Saw
- EXTENDS REACH: Ideal for cutting overhanging limbs and thin logs
- TELESCOPING: Pole extends to 8.7 ft. to provide 15 ft. of overhead reach. No Load Speed (rpm) 6000. Sound Power Level :...
- POWERFUL: 6.5-amp motor cuts branches up to 7.5-inches thick
The Sun Joe is a corded pole saw that works well with overhanging branches in tall trees. It has an overhead reach of 15 feet which is the longest of all corded pole saws in its category. The 6.5-amp motor is efficient for cutting through branches of thicknesses of over 7.5 inches. Since the pole saw is corded, the Sun Joe SWJ800E runs for several hours uninterruptedly. Other great features include a safety switch that prevents accidental start-ups and a 2.7-ounce oil tank that self-oils the bar.
This product retails on Amazon for around $70
This product comes with a 2-year warranty.
- A long reach
- Continuous power supply
- Self-oiling keeps friction-related issues at bay
- Optimum safety
- An only corded feature limits it mobility
- Not very powerful
Oregon Cordless PS250-E6 Pole Saw Kit
- Constant no-fade power thanks to the 40V premium lithium ion battery pack (not included) which gives you enough power...
- Starts instantly, so you don’t have to deal with the hassle of pull cords or wait for the saw to warm up
- 8 inch bar has a compact cutting head which allows you to reach far away branches and gives you better balance
The Oregon PS250-E6 Pole Saw combines four key features to deliver a powerful, easy-to-use and durable pole saw. The 40-Volt Lithium-ion battery uses fade free cell technology for continuous and powerful energy output. Incorporating Mid-Mount Motor Design on the bar and cutting head enables ergonomic weight distribution which improves balance and reduces fatigue. The adjustable collar increases the height of the cordless pole saw up to 10 feet which provides more than enough reach for the average human height. Also, a branch hook on the base of the bar can pull down stubborn branches that do not want to fall off.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $330.
This product comes with a 3-year warranty.
- A long overhead reach of over 15 feet
- An oil tank of 4.3 ounces
- Quiet operations
- Has a cutting diameter of over 10 inches
- Sturdy design
- Very pricey
Ryobi One+ 8 in. 18-Volt 9.5 ft. Cordless Electric Pole Saw
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes...
Ryobi’s cordless pole saw is the best for those hard-to-reach areas. The motor’s housing lines perfectly with the pole which reduces the horizontal space it occupies, hence improving its ability to fit in tight spaces. With a cutting head pole, intermediate pole and handle pole, you can trim branches 15 feet away while your feet are anchored on the ground.
Another great feature is in the battery. It uses Premium Cell Technology which provides fade-free power during the entire period of use. The battery also recharges fully in half an hour.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $125
This product comes with a 1-year reconditioned warranty.
- Adjustable poles that are assembled easily
- A fast-charge battery
- Fits in tight spaces well
- Constant top-quality performance
- Not for heavy-duty pruning
- A 1-year warranty
- The price is high considering it does not include a battery or charger
Maxtra Gas Pole Saw
- [POWERFUL ENGINE] 42.7cc,1100w, 2-stroke engine which is more powerful and steady. It can cut woods and branches...
- [MULTIPLE USE] Cordless gas pole saw can cut the branches on the big tree, cut wood,logging,pruning garden or orchard...
- [ADJUSTABLE EXTRA LENGTH] This gas powered pole saw can be adjust from 8.2 to 11.4 ft and with 10 inch cutting length....
It is a super powerful and heavy-weight cordless pole saw. The Maxtra Gas pole has a pull-to-start 42.7cc, 2-cycle engine with a speed of 7500r/min which can cut through branches up to 11 inches in diameter in minutes. Though gas-powered, the Maxtra can constantly work for longer intervals than electric and manual pole saws.
The length of the entire pole and bar can be adjusted from 8 feet to10 feet which pushes the overhead reach to 16.5 feet—the longest of all cordless pole saws reviewed. Another outstanding feature is in the ergonomic handle which has an anti-slip hand bar useful when handling heavy duty work or when fatigued.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $220.
This product comes with a 1-year reconditioned warranty.
- Most powerful in its category
- It has the longest reach
- The 10-inch cutting length prunes wide branches well
- Does not drain its energy source as fast as electric pole saws
- Optimum safety features like an ergonomic handle and shoulder straps
- Accessories include shoulder straps, toolkit, and chain cover
- Can be used for other activities like logging
- Produces smoke
- Noisy; up to 109dB
- Has vibrations that strain the wrist
- Leaves a large carbon footprint
Poulan Pro PPB40PS, 40-Volt 8 inch Cordless Pole Saw
- Featuring an 8 in. Bar and Chain that has a self tension mechanism which adjusts the tension in the cutting chain so...
- Extends up to 8 ft. giving you the extra reach without having to use a ladder
- Automatic Oiler keeps your chain lubricated at all times. Easily monitor the oil level with the Oiler Level Indicator...
The electric Poulan Pro PPB40PS is for people who want to handle pruning fast and move on to other activities. The push-to-start motor is powered by a 40-Volt Lithium-Ion battery which provides adequate power for pruning branches of up to 8 inches in a few minutes.
With the entire pole length set at 8 feet, there is surely no need of a ladder when pruning tall trees. The most outstanding feature of this cordless pole saw is in the ergonomic design. The handle’s position, the cutting head angle and weight distribution make the pole easy to balance and move around while pruning branches.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $120.
This product comes with a 2-year warranty on parts and labor when used for household purposes.
- Operates quietly
- Easy to use
- Satisfactory performance
- An oil indicator helps you monitor usage
- The bar is self-oiling
- Only for light and medium duties
- Uses up oil fast
Earthwise Camo 40-Volt 10-Inch Cordless Chainsaw/Pole Saw Combo
- Includes 10" Oregon bar and chain, 40-Volt battery, fast charger, carrying case, and shoulder strap for easy handling;...
- Powerful 40-Volt battery offers the power to tackle trimming tree branches and wood limbs to cutting up stumps and logs...
- Pole attachment for corded electric pole saw/chainsaw allows for an extended reach of up to 8'; Cordless electric...
This Earthwise Camo features a 10-foot cutting head which can be adjusted to 5 angles. This is perfect for dealing with those hard-to-reach branches which are wide and long. The pole saw’s motor is powered by a 40-Volt Premium Cell Technology battery which runs at full power consistently until it is used up.Apart from self-oiling, the bar also has a tool-less tensioning for the chain and a 109° power head that splits open wide branches with ease. The full package consists of an extension pole, bar pole, handle pole, shoulder strap, chain cover and carry case for the cordless pole saw.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $230.
This product comes with a 4-year warranty.
- Efficient for pruning hard-to-reach branches
- The convertible feature enables it to have multiple functions
- Blends in well with the branches
- A bit pricey
- Weight distribution is not ergonomic
Cordless pole saws have numerous benefits including pruning trees and shrubs. When choosing a cordless saw, you need to put into consideration features such as the length and weight of the pole saw, ease of assembling the poles, cutting head length, energy source, design, warranty, and price. It is also important to learn how to maintain the saw with the focus on aspects such as tensioning the chain, checking the oil level and oil leaks, and sharpening the blades.
The best cordless pole saw in our review is the Greenworks 8.5′ 40V. It is powerful, has a long reach and can cut branches of up to 8 inches in diameter. In case it is your first time using these types of saws; try out the Ryobi One+ 8 in. 18-Volt 9.5 ft. Cordless Electric Pole Saw. It requires little or no experience, and it is easy to use and maintain although its power is average.
Last update on 2021-04-13 at 23:24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API